Anyone who has ever sold products online knows of dreaded UPC mismatches and the world of hurt they cause.
It happens like this...
Some unsuspecting seller buys a block of barcodes (UPCs) they found from some website claiming to sell valid UPCs. They proceed to assign these UPCs to each of their heretofore UPC-less SKUs.
Now two possible things happen:
- The UPCs you purchased already exist legitimately. The joke in our office is the unsuspecting hardware parts seller that started listing to Keystone Light branded merchandise on Walmart. Talk about some confused customers and some unhappy customer service reps... Doh!
- Some other seller already purchased an overlapping set of UPCs from another sketchy service or even the same service.
Don't be that seller. Lean on this article to learn the ins and outs of barcodes and how to register your company properly with GS1, the governing body that assigns company prefixes and UPCs.
How to properly register UPCs
- Get a GS1 US-Issued Company Prefix
- Choose Product (GTIN) for physical products. GTIN means Global Trade Item Number. You've probably heard of UPC, EAN, ISBN -- they're different types of GTINs.
- Determine the type of barcode. UPC-A is what you'll want if you're selling products online or in physical stores.
- License a company prefix from GS1 US. This is a variable length number based on the number of unique SKUs you need to barcode.
- Use GS1 US Data Hub to create and manage UPCs. This is a free account for single user accounts but there is a fee to purchase your company prefix -- pricing schedule is provided below.
- Place barcodes on your products. This can be done gradually since you'll likely want to incorporate it in your packaging process.
GS1 Prefix Pricing Schedule
|Number of items needing a barcode||Initial fee||Annual renewal fee|
|1 – 10||$250||$50|
|1 – 100||$750||$150|
|1 – 1,000||$2,500||$500|
|1 – 10,000||$6,500||$1,300|
|1 – 100,000||$10,500||$2,100|
Prefix Allocation Schedule
|If your U.P.C. Company Prefix is…||You can create this many U.P.C. barcodes...|
Avoid UPC Mismatches and Related Issues
- Don't buy UPCs from vendors that are not certified by GS1. Use GS1 US Data Hub or a GS1 US Solution Provider.
- Don't make up your own UPCs using some math formula you found online.
- If you are not the brand owner and you want to assign UPCs to their products that you sell, contact the brand owner and send them this article.
- UPCs, Barcodes and GS1 Company Prefixes: Educational Overview
- Barcoding basics: create barcodes and UPCs with the GS1 US Get Started Guide
- who owns this barcode?
- GS1 US Data Hub | Product - View/Use: Access brand owner-supplied UPCs and basic product data
- GS1 US Solution Provider Finder. Reduce your risk and work with a solution provider who is certified by GS1 US.
- Check digit calculator. Enter everything except the final number of a UPC to find out what that final number should be.
- GS1 Prefix Pricing Schedule
Zentail is a multichannel software platform that makes it easy to sell on Amazon, eBay, Walmart Marketplace, Jet.com, Google Shopping, Shopify, Bigcommerce and a growing selection of channels. Centrally manage product information, listings, inventory, orders, business analytics and reordering from one beautiful interface. Get more done faster.